Video: A Tasty Puppy Chow Recipe for Your Next Road Trip
May 21, 2018 by Oyster Staff
Flying can be quick and efficient, but there’s something special about rolling down the windows, pumping up the tunes, and hitting the open road. And now that summer is here, a road trip might very well be in your future. Whether it’s a few-hour drive for a short weekend jaunt or a week- or month-long cross-country journey, you’re going to need some good snacks. Here to help, we pulled together an addicting, sweet-and-salty puppy chow recipe that will keep you and your travel companions fueled up.
- 1 12-ounce box of Rice Chex
- 1 12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 cups M&Ms
- Combine chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals until the mixture is melted and creamy.
- Take a large bowl and combine the Rice Chex with the chocolate mixture. Stir well until the Rice Chex is entirely coated.
- Take ½ cup of powdered sugar and sift into the mixture using a fine mesh strainer. Mix the powdered sugar in, and repeat two more times.
- Let the mixture cool for 20 minutes, or refrigerate to expedite.
- Add two more rounds of powdered sugar (½ cup each time).
- Add peanuts and toss.
- Add M&Ms and toss.
- Sift one more ½ cup of powdered sugar into the mixture and combine.
- Store the puppy chow in a Ziploc bag.
- Puppy chow can be made two days in advance.