According to the Inside Edition, the shopkeeper had been feeding the pup some sausage, and a piece of it became lodged in the dog’s throat. When Yilmaz checked the puppy, he found that he wasn’t breathing and would die soon if someone didn’t help.
He acted quickly to dislodge the food from the puppy’s throat, but the dog still did not recover. Yilmaz took measures to try and get the dog breathing again. He rubbed his chest and took him to a sink to immerse him in cold water to wake him up.
These attempts didn’t work, so Yilmaz began administering CPR to the puppy. The dog didn’t respond immediately, so the man continued his efforts. After some time, the puppy finally started breathing again. This dog was very fortunate that a man like this was there just when he needed help.
In a situation like this, there isn’t enough time to call a vet, so it becomes necessary for bystanders to take action. It was fortunate that Omar was able to remove the food from the dog’s mouth. This may have been more difficult if it was an adult dog.
It’s important to know when a dog is choking in order to avoid a life-threatening situation like this. Pet care professionals advise that you need to be able to recognize choking before it’s too late. Pay attention to a dog if it starts coughing or having breathing trouble while eating.
If the dog is choking, it might start pawing at its mouth or head. In this case, check your pet’s mouth to see if there is any food stuck in there. Be cautious approaching a dog in distress because he might be scared and react violently if you abruptly grab its mouth.
In order to remove the lodged food, you could try a Heimlich maneuver by pressing on the dog’s chest to expel air from its lungs to force the food out.
If this story inspired you to increase awareness about this topic, let people know on social media. What would you have done in this situation? Let us know in the comments.
This content was originally published here.