A family of dog owners have been left reeling since their puppy died after being baited in its own backyard.
Six-month-old staffy Lucy died on Tuesday after her owner suspected the pup had been poisoned up to three separate times.
Robyn Stone told Tweed Daily News that her caramel-coloured pooch first showed signs of poisoning, including muscle spasms and diarrhoea, in late March.
Six-month old staffy puppy died after she was suspected to have been baited up to three times in her backyard on the New South Wales north coast
Days later, following on from the suspicions of her local vet, the Korora, New South Wales, resident thought she may have discovered the cause.
‘I went home to have a look around and found some snail pellets on my deck. I don’t have any around my place,’ she told the publication.
A quick recovery and two nights at the vet later, the family’s relief was temporary after evidence their beloved Lucy had once again been baited became apparent.
Last Saturday, the pup had brought similarly shaped crumbs into the house – this time the symptoms were even worse.
The following Tuesday night, after once again displaying the symptoms, Lucy died suddenly, curled up on the couch and surrounded by her owners.
Given the dog’s age and previously intact health, Robyn is sure it’s a result of the alleged baiting.
Lucy began experiencing the symptoms after he owner said she ingested what appeared to be snail pellets, like those pictured above
‘From the crumbs left behind and with the symptoms she had, it definitely points to a rat bait,’ she said.
Footage of the home from a camera installed after the first incident has been handed over to local police but with no leads, the heartbroken family are still without answers.
‘I just want to make people aware there are horrible people out there,’ Robyn said.
After her first experience with baiting, Lucy was brought to her local vet (pictured) whose suspicions were soon realised