A dog has died from a heart attack after being terrified by fireworks, bosses at an animal rescue centre have sadly revealed.
Pooch Winston, a Moscow watchdog, tried to hide under decking at the Dogs 4 Rescue centre in Manchester.
The eight-year-old animal was found dead shortly afterwards by staff members.
It is believed he had a heart attack, reports Manchester Evening News.
Winston, who was being cared for at the shelter after being abused in Bulgaria, was terrified of loud bangs and fireworks.
Earlier this year, the dog had been diagnosed with a heart condition and required medication.
Winston and other dogs at the rescue were let out just after midnight in the early hours of Monday for a toilet break after the noise from fireworks appeared to have stopped.
The loud bangs started again shortly after – and the dogs rushed back into the centre.
Rescue centre staff say they panicked when Winston failed to return and after searching the site they found him under the decking.
Winston weighed 80 kilos and was too big to fit in the space he was trying to crawl into.
Staff at the rescue now appealing for people to stop letting off fireworks near the shelter.
Owner Emma Billington said: “He absolutely hated loud bangs. We are out in the sticks a little bit. I don’t know where these were coming from.
“They were outside and the bangs started going off, all of the dogs that were scared started running back in. We noticed he was missing.
“He had a heart attack and fell asleep under the decking.”
Emma, 40, added: “We have to tell people how bad this is for the dogs. There is no need, in this day and age.
“This has just killed him. All his life he has suffered at the hands of people.
“He was the most loyal dog.”
Dogs 4 Rescue is a unique re-homing centre. All 50 dogs there live in a kennel-free environment without the need for cages.
Animals go to the centre from over the world, including dogs at risk of being put down in the UK, Cyprus, Romania and Bulgaria.
Top news stories from Mirror Online