Giving your Bully dog a healthy and nutritious diet is one of the factors that contribute to good health as well as the well-being of an American Bully Puppy. Therefore, it is important for you to know what kind of foods and nutrients should be used in making your dog’s meal.
There are several means to prepare delicious, yet healthy meals for your pet. One of these is known as Raw Dog Food Diet. This kind of meal is primarily made up of raw dog food ingredients and has no processed or artificial ingredients. This kind of American Bully food meal was promoted by Ian Billinghurst, an Australian veterinarian who brought forth his idea of an ideal diet that was known as Biologically Appropriate Raw Food (BARF). Billinghurst states that commercial pet foods have too many unnatural and processed ingredients that in turn can cause harm to a dog’s health. Therefore, according to him, raw food diet which mirrored the original diet of the wild dogs is a healthier alternative. Ian Billinghurst’s has spread throughout the world that it turn attracts it share of advocates and opponents.
Preparing a raw dog food meal is not a hard task to do. All you need is natural ingredients and knowledge on how to make one. Hard working breeds like Bulldogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Bullies, German Shepherds, and Rottweilers that are ages 12 weeks and older can benefit from the raw dog meal recipes by building up their strength as well as enhancing their muscles.
There is no one single defined dog food recipe to make a raw dog meal, but to give you an idea on how it can be done here are some samples:
Beefy Max – This is a BARF diet supplemented with Gorilla Max Canine Supplement. This particular recipe is for American Bully Puppy owners who their pets to have an improved physique and energy for the strenuous workouts. Here are the ingredients you need:
- Ground beef
- Eggs with shells included
- Beef kidney
- Lettuce (preferably Romaine)
- Gorilla Max Canine Supplement
First, chop the vegetables finely since dogs can’t digest whole vegetables. Then cook the chopped vegetables unfermented. Then take the beef kidney and slice it up into small chunks. Mix the chopped ingredients and the ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Put the ground beef in a bowl first, and then add the chopped kidney. Afterward, add in the chopped veggies and eggs. Finally, mix in the Gorilla Max Canine Supplement. The mixed supplement should be six teaspoons per serving. Mix them all correctly so that the ingredient mixture is even. If you’re not going feed, you Bully immediately, packaged the Beefy Max and put in a freezer. Serve your Bully enough Bully Max servings and don’t overfeed it.
Boneless Meat Patties – This BARF diet that has no supplement in it. If you cannot afford to buy dog supplements, then this is raw dog food recipe is the one you need. Here are the ingredients you need:
- 5 lbs of ground pork/chicken/turkey/lamb/beef or a combination of any the mentioned.
- One can of water packed sardines
- Four raw eggs with shells. You may boil them for 3 minutes if you want.
- 1 cup of finely chopped veggies. You can choose carrots, kale, asparagus, Romaine lettuce, broccoli stalks, parsley or spinach. You can also choose a combination of two or more.
Get a huge mixing bowl and mix the ingredients. Be sure to mix them right and evenly. Then form patties that are the right size for your dog. The size of the patties may vary from one American Bully Puppy to another. Store the patties in a fridge to freeze or refrigerate them.
The physical advantages of a raw dog food diet
- Teeth is cleaner
- The amount of stool is smaller
- Skin is healthier
- Coat is shinier
The physical disadvantages of a raw dog food diet
- Not every American Bully dog is suitable for this diet
- Nutritional imbalance due to poor preparation
- Dietary imbalance
- Some ingredients like whole bones are harmful to the dog
- Bacterial contamination again due to poor preparation
What other supplements can I add in my natural American Bully food?
Supplements are needed when you are not able to feed your puppy different kinds of food. Sometimes nutrients can be lost due to being frozen or cooked.
- Calcium – For stronger bones and teeth.
- Oil – Both from fish and meat. Gives fat, calories and in fish oil’s case EPA, DHA, fatty acids, and Omega-3. Also, Cod liver oil supplies vitamins A, and D. Don’t forget about plant oils too.
- Vitamin E – Some homemade diets lack this essential vitamin. Do not use too much vitamin E on your pet.
- Iodine – Use only in moderate amounts. Too little or too much of iodine can suppress your dog’s thyroid function.
General guidelines for serving raw dog food.
These particular instructions will give you a general idea of how many meals you can give to your dog. Feel free to adjust the amount depending on the situation.
- 10 lb. dog – 1/2 of cup raw dog food daily
- 20 lb. dog – 1 cup of raw dog food daily
- 40 lb. dog – 2 cups of raw dog food daily
- 60 lb. dog – 3 cups of raw dog food daily
- 80 lb. dog – 3 1/2–4 of cups raw dog food daily
Introducing a dog to new BARF diet
Getting your dog used to a BARF diet can be difficult especially if it is used to eating a different kind of food. This method will allow your American Bully to adjust appropriately to its new BARF diet.
- Make your dog fast for 24 hours. Do not forget to give it water during this period.
- Feed your dog a ¼ portion of a normal sized meal on day 1 and 2.
- Feed your dog a 1/2 portion of a normal sized meal on day 3 and 4.
- Feed your dog a 3/4 portion of a normal sized meal on day 5 and 6.
- Feed your dog a full portion on day 7.
It takes a total of 8 days for this method to work, but it will be worth the time and effort.
Should I consult a veterinarian before using BARF diet?
Indeed, you should ask a vet first before giving your dog a BARF diet. Remember not all dogs are suitable for BARF diets. Even dogs that are suitable for BARF diet may have complications you don’t know. A skilled vet can tell you if your dog can handle this kind of food. Bear in mind that the vet may or may not recommended a raw food diet due to several reasons. In the end after listening to the vet’s advice the decision to feed your pet a BARF diet is yours to make.
Try finding or asking other raw dog food recipes from friends or acquaintances who knows a lot about BARF diet. They can give you additional ways to prepare a raw dog meal, give some valuable tips or help you improve your skills. Just remember a healthy natural American Bully food will keep your precious American Bully dog healthy, fit and happy.